LAW PRACTICE PROFILE
My practice focuses on international commercial litigation, in particular cases related to Russia. I regularly represent clients and assist other lawyers in U.S. litigation involving international procedure, questions of Russian law, and Russian-language documents and testimony.
My experience includes fifteen years in New York litigation practice, nine years residence in Moscow in international transactional practice (1990-2000), and clerkships in U.S. federal courts (trial and appellate levels) and the Israel Supreme Court. I am fluent in Russian and Hebrew and proficient in German.
- Seeking return of archive of Soviet World War II photographer from former agent (pending; obtained injunction impounding archive, SDNY, 10-CV-8328)
- Suing NY diamond dealer and former Soviet citizens for defrauding joint venture partner (pending, Supreme Court, Commercial Division, NY County, 651105/2012)
- Defending against claims of fraudulent takeover of Russian real estate development group (dismissed under forum non conveniens, 2013 Westlaw 2458855, appeal pending)
- Advising U.S. citizen on taxation of Swiss and other offshore property
- Assisting counsel of record in defending against insider trading case related to Russia and Central Asia (pending, SDNY, 11-CV-6500; related case, EDNY, 12-MJ-0331)
- Assisting with Russian law issues in defense against enforcement of $250 million promissory note (pending, NY County Supreme Court, 602335/2009)
- Opining on U.S. law issues in Russian company’s defense against enforcement of arbitral award (pending, Amsterdam Civil Law Division, 482043/KG RK 11-362)
- Advising Russian citizen on possible litigation over serious spinal injury
- Defending against liquidated damages claim of $375,000 for breach of data storage contract (settled for $55,000 after filing motion to dismiss, SDNY, 10-CV-3806)
- Advising Austrian bank on possible litigation against South American government to require payment under sovereign bonds
- Assisting counsel of record on Russian law questions in defense against life insurance claim ($2 million claim settled for $50,000 during trial)
- Representing in a government civil proceeding a defendant in the Madoff Ponzi scheme (pending, SDNY, 09-CV-9455)
- Counsel to St. George’s Episcopal Church, Brooklyn, NY
Before entering independent practice in 2009, I worked for seven years on the defense of a legal malpractice action arising out of advice on Russian securities and tax law (summary judgment for client law firm, 2010 WL 186387; trial judgment for second law firm in companion case, City and County of Denver, Colorado, 01-CV-1677).
* PRIOR RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE A SIMILAR OUTCOME.
LANGUAGESRussian and Hebrew (fluent), German (working knowledge), English (native)
EDUCATIONCornell Law School, J.D. (Editor-in-Chief, Cornell International Law Journal, 1984-85)
Hebrew University of Jerusalem, M.A., Political Science (Soviet studies), 1983
Cornell University, A.B. (Economics), 1978
JUDICIAL CLERKSHIPSIsrael Supreme Court (Judges Aharon Barak and Eliezer Goldberg)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (Judge Albert Engel)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York (Chief Judge Howard G. Munson)